Friday, March 7, 2014

And she's off!


On yet another adventure. This one's self-imposed.

Four years ago I ordered a book and a set of rulers and had the crazy idea (I had only been quilting for 6 months) that I would make a Dear Jane quilt. Well, a look through the book, and a little exercise in multiplication was all it took to convince me that I was far from ready for this task, so I put the book back on the shelf.

Yesterday I decided that I was ready to take this on. I got out the calculator and divided 225 (the number of blocks in the quilt) by 3. Okay, if I set a goal to do 3 blocks a month I could have this quilt finished in ...... 7-1/2 years. Not exactly what I had in mind.

4 blocks a month? ......4-1/2 years

Okay, so we just jumped right up to 10 blocks a month, and we'll finish it in 2 years. Sure, I can do that.

I spent a few hours with a roll of freezer paper and traced out everything I thought could be constructed as applique, and I taped these templates to the pages in the book. (I'm into freezer paper on top applique at the moment.)


And then I went online to find someone who might want to sell their Dear Jane software (because if I have to measure and cut  all of these pieces myself, or figure out which order to paper piece something, it's all over). Software seller located, mission accomplished!

All that was left to do was order a bolt of Moda Bella Solid in bleached white. Done! It should be here early next week.

I even made myself an inspirational little icon ... No pain, no Jane.

If you're feeling crazy, then feel free to jump on the bus with me to begin this journey. I'll be blogging the trials and tribulations (of which I expect there to be many). Seriously, how hard can it be to make 10 little 4-1/2" blocks a month?

(I guess we're gonna find out, aren't we?)


1 comment:

  1. I have wanted to do one of these quilts but it does look like it will take forever....I say....more power to you!!!! I will cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!